Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Brooklyn or Bust!

    December 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    Today was our last full day in NYC, and so we decided to return to Brooklyn for a few reasons: 1) to walk over the bridge when it was less crowded; 2) to have pizza at Juliania’s - rated No. 1 pizza in NY; 3) to check out Williamsburg; and 4) to walk back to Manhattan over the Williamsburg Bridge.

    I am pleased to announce that we achieved all four. We had a very pleasant walk across the Brooklyn Bridge this morning, and then went to Juliana’s for lunch and had delicious pizza cooked in a coal fired oven. We arrived there about 11:30 am and were able to get straight in.

    We then had to get the subway back over to Manhattan, and then change to get the subway to Williamsburg - we have become old hands at using the subway and have probably taken it about twenty times over the week.

    We then did a self guided walking tour of Williamsburg, which is a very up and coming neighbourhood of Brooklyn - there are in fact 30 neighbourhoods that make up the Burrough of Brooklyn. We passed some great boutiques and restaurants in Bedford Avenue, the main drag of Williamsburg, passed McCarren Park, a beautiful green space, then went passed the Brooklyn Brewery and headed down towards the East River to Bushwick Inlet Park, where we got some great views back to Manhattan. There is a real mixture of buildings in Williamsburg - old warehouses and grafitti artwork next to sinewy new glass skyscrapers. There is also lots of development going on.

    After we finished wandering around the hood, we headed back to the Williamsburg Bridge, where we took the pedestrian walkway back to Manhattan. We were treated to great views both up and down the East River during our crossing. We then caught the subway up to 42nd street, with only a quick walk back to our apartment for a well deserved cup of tea and a Tim Tam. We have really done well today with our steps - so far we have just over 20,000 and we still have a bit of walking to do tonight.

    Tonight we saw our last Broadway Show - "Hamilton" - and it lived up to all the hype! The show was fantastic and all three of us thoroughly enjoyed the show.
    Read more