Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Farewell San Francisco hello LA!

    December 9, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We are nearing the end of our trip - last domestic flight down to LA. We ordered an Uber Black to get to the airport as we needed a big enough car for our luggage. There have been terrible fires both north and south of LA and so we are not sure what it will be like - the winds have lessened but there is a high alert until at least Sunday night! We haven’t got much planned while we are in LA except for going to Universal Studios and maybe we will go to the movies. On the flight to LA we passed over some of the areas in the North affected by fires and there was smoke in the air as we got closer to LA we found it surprisingly clear. In the airport Line this dickhead taxi driver kept insisting he could fit our luggage into his sedan even though I kept saying it wouldn’t and it didn’t, which he reluctantly acknowledged after trying to slam his boot shut about 6 times. We removed our luggage and then waited as the taxi driver arranged for a mini van which did accommodate all our luggage! The boys got to experience LA freeways as we took the 110 and 101 to get to Universal City. We are staying at the Hilton which is just across the road from Universal Studios and City Walk which has restaurants, shops and a movie complex.

    From our hotel room we can see Universal Studios and City Walk - Hogwarts Castle is very visible and the WaterWorld stunt show includes pyrotechnics which we get a good view of as well.

    We spent the afternoon and evening just relaxing in our room and ordering room service!

    We watched a great special documentary on PBS about the rise of the Beatles which Ian and I thoroughly enjoyed - there was even footage of 250,000 people in Adelaide lining the streets when they arrived and some footage of them performing at Festival Hall.

    We had a fairly early night as we are all a little tired and now Angus seems to be coming down with a sore throat.
    Read more