Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Casa Del Rey Moro

    September 27, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We were looking for the Arab Bath house, and came upon this place on the way. As it is privately owned, we had to pay an entry fee, but it was the only one of the day, and it was worth it. The gardens have been beautifully restored and maintained. They were designed for the Duchess by Jean-Claude Nicolas Forestier in 1912 (the French architect’s first recognised work in Spain). The Neo-Mudejar style house, an amalgamation of several 18th century homes conceived by the Duchess of Parcent is in disrepair, and currently undergoing restoration.

    Last but not least, there is the Nasrid era Water Mine, which is one of the best conserved examples in Spain. It is below the Gardens - you have to descend in excess of 200 stairs (equivalent to a 20 storey building). It is dark, cool and damp. There are a number of areas where the stairs are spiral formation and it becomes wetter the further you descend. Many of the steps were very big, which is difficult for a person of my short stature, but I managed and it was well worth the effort to see the view of the gorge where the water source is.

    We then had to climb back up - I thought it would be more difficult than it was, and I was surprised how quickly we got back up. After such strenuous work we decided to reward ourselves with a drink and a bit of a relax at Terraza Chill Out Rey Moro, a lovely bar with great views and well shaded.
    Read more