Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Lovely to meet you LYON

    September 22, 2022 in France ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Arrived this afternoon and once we had met our host Fanny and deposited our bags in our fifth floor apartment we headed out to explore the “hood”. We are in the 6th arrondissment, about 1.5kms from the city centre, in what appears to be a family orientated neighbourhood. We found a fabulous coffee roaster just down the street that made a great coffee.

    We then headed towards the city centre - located between the Rhône and Saône rivers - exploring this beautiful city full of fabulous sights and smells. The pastries are works of art and we are trying to restrain ourselves by looking but not buying!

    We crossed the Rhône and went past a beautiful square and the very impressive town hall. We then headed across to the next river, La Saône. Both rivers are very wide and clean. After walking along the Saône to the next bridge (a lovely but fairly wobbly footbridge), we started to wander back towards our apartment.

    We stopped at a local brasserie that appeared to be full of locals, where we started with a fabulous Chardonnay from Macon Village by Loren et Fils (Fleurie) for the aperitif. During the day the brasserie has a full menu, but at night they have a type of “tapas” style option of small pots of deliciousness. We had mozzarella with basil, ham, ratatouille, confit octopus, confit pork, gravlax salmon, seafood pie and some chicken and pork dishes. Sounds a lot, but all fairly small. We loved it all, but the seafood pie and mozzarella were my favourites.

    We wandered back to our apartment after the meal and had an early night as it had been a big day. We had walked over 20kms.
    Read more