Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Who did you say you were?

    December 1, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I did not intend to write anything today, as I did not think there would be much to say. Always expect the unexpected! A huge thunderstorm erupted over our heads and the villa about one in the morning and rumbled on for a couple of hours. Sleep was impossible, so great was the noise. As I discovered later, I lay awake thinking about our long journey this morning, how difficult it might be and would it even be possible etc; Peter’s thoughts ran along the lines of how was he going to manage to save his Intercontinental points from a travel company booking! ( He did of course which may explain the following)
    Men are definitely from Mars, Women from Venus!! I rest my case.
    We left early and the storm had passed, although it was misty and rained on and off until we were out of the mountains. It is a 480kms drive down to Adelaide and all went smoothly. We arrived in Adelaide just before 3pm and it was and is cold, scarcely 18 degrees! Home thoughts from Abroad?
    When I booked all this last January, as I think I told you earlier, our preferred hotel had been booked out by the Aussies. So, we had to decamp to the Intercontinental over the road. Peter was mildly irritated, but all that changed this afternoon...........
    We arrive at the hotel, having missed the entrance first time round and after a painful negotiation of the one way system, eventually end up back where we should have been first time. The hotel was heaving and Peter slotted the hire car neatly into an impossible space whilst we checked in and so it began. Please remember that Peter is a member of the MCC and as such, keen on cricket - or so one would think?
    On our way up the hotel steps we bump into Jonny Bairstow and Mark Ramprakash - Peter oblivious! Checking in was straightforward; Michael Atherton was reading a paper on the sofa in the lobby and Graeme Swan drifts past - Peter misses both! We go to check out the restaurant and lobby bar, and the ENGLAND CAPTAIN, Joe Root is sitting at a table less that 3 feet away with his wife and young son eating - PL away with the fairies. Paul Farbrace (coach) is checking notes close by - nothing. Finally, the piece de resistance, we go to return the car to Avis and have to make a left turn into a tiny street. Peter narrowly avoids running down a cyclist (who cuts across him to be fair). Imagine the reaction from my driver, moaning and groaning should cover it for the purposes of our journal, until I point out that he has almost mown down Michael Vaughan!!
    As you will gather the England team and the accompanying Media circus are in our hotel. PL thinks he will nip down to the bar later for a swift drink with the lads. He will have to recognise them first! Do you not think failing to recognise the current England captain is a hanging offence if reported to the MCC? Seems likely to me. Let's hope there are no Wikileaks!
    We are on the 10th floor with a fabulous view over the Adelaide Oval from our bedroom window. You could throw a cricket ball from our bedroom window to the square with a good arm. Peter thinks "he will be ok here"?? Of course we could do with some decent weather for the match tomorrow that does not look to be forthcoming. I'm in search of a thermal vest in the morning. I left my winter clothes at home! The England team should feel very much at home. It's like a June day at Headingly. Let's hope the ball swings. Watch this space!
    Read more