Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Hong Kong Day 3

    November 4, 2013 in Hong Kong ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Hong Kong
    Monday, November 4, 2013

    Mon 4th Nov

    Today has been Hong Kong Island based and as you will see from the posted photos, we started off at the Man Mo Temple, which is both Buddist and Taoist, which we thought unusual, until on explanation it became apparent how similar the two religions were. This small traditional temple has stood on the same spot since the 1800s and is surrounded by soaring skyscrapers , an interesting juxtaposition.
    We moved on to Victoria Peak and the railway. In sections this has a gradient of 24%, seriously steep. It takes 8 mins to ascend and the observation point is approx 450mtrs high. The views over HK are stupendous, even on a less than clear day like today. The mist is still hanging about and we did have a little rain this eve, drifting in from the edges of the typhoon.
    Lunch was taken at The Jumbo Floating Palace, which several of you have mentioned as a must visit and you were not wrong. We had a sampan ride first amongst the various vessels moored in Aberdeen Harbour, before being delivered in style to the restaurant. They were a mix of working fishing boats and serious gin palaces, an interesting combination. A visit to Stanley Market concluded the day, after which we are definitely marketed out!
    Read more