Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Test Day 2

    December 27, 2013 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 6 °C

    St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
    Friday, December 27, 2013

    Today has certainly been very interesting! Once more we arrived early at the MCG, expecting the England tail not to wag for long. How right we were. Bresnan went first ball of the morning, fending off a vicious lifting bouncer from Johnson and with that Pieterson lost the plot, forgot how to defend and attempted to pulverise the wrong ball with the inevitable result. They were all out by eleven o'clock for 255. Lunch came very quickly, but with the surprise of Australia loosing 2 wickets quickly beforehand.. Strangely enough the afternoon session followed a very similar pattern to the day before, with the English bowlers finally putting together a sustained and threatening attack. They never allowed the Australians to settle and the runs dried up to a trickle.
    We took the chance to visit the MCC Museum of Sport, which obviously featured cricket, but also other National sporting achievements. It was extremely interesting and well collated and a couple of hours passed in no time.
    We returned to our seats just before tea and in time for an Australian collapse, which was something of a surprise. They finished the day on 164 for 8. The Barmy Army were in full cry by now and Bay 13 (the Aussie equivalent) less than happy. They certainly can't sing as well as ours, although I'm not sure that is any recommendation. Peter did offer to give his own rendition of Jerusalem, but at the risk of being ejected for 'A Behavioural Offence', I managed to dissuade him. Any form of anti social behaviour is dealt with strongly, with an ejection, ban and heavy fine. Lessons could be learned across the world !
    There were some fantastic costumes on view both yesterday and today. A gorilla suit would have been tame in this neck of the woods. They go for flamboyant with a capital F.
    At last for the first time in the series England finished the day on top. Too late of course with the little urn already lost, but at least they have finally shown some fight and resolve.
    The temperature is due to soar to 38 degrees tomorrow, so we will do other things and keep an eye on TV, hoping to return to the fray on the 4th day.
    Sorry girls this is a report for the chaps in the main. Normal service will be resumed soon.
    Read more