Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    The SCG test

    January 3, 2014 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Manly, New South Wales, Australia
    Friday, January 3, 2014

    Are we gluttons for punishment or what? This morning, we caught the 8.50am ferry from Manley to make our way to the SCG for the beginning of the fifth and final test against Australia. We met up with some others we had chatted to in Melbourne, who are also part of the MCC contingent and I have to say it was all a bit doom and gloom. We were telling one chap about bumping into Alistair Cook the other evening and he grunted and said to Peter ' I hope you managed to avoid shaking his hand!'. Boys!! On a more positive note, It is another fantastic ground. Not in the same league as the MCG to be fair, but more of a traditional cricket ground with a pavilion. There were just over 45,000 present today and I would have said it was not quite full. I don't think any of the English fans have much hope of any sort of comeback, but for the only time in the series Alistair Cook did win the toss and put the Australians in to bat. It was overcast and humid and so he obviously felt England could bowl the Aussies out cheaply. It half came off, as we certainly won the morning session and had them 97 for 5 just after lunch and hopes were higher. Sadly, it could not be maintained and Haddin and Smith consolidated well, although we did bowl them all out by 5.30. We decided to take our leave at that point to avoid the rush for home. Peter was confident Cook and Carbury could hold out for 20 mins. I was not so sure. No prizes for guessing who was right!
    We returned to Circular Quay for the ferry home and following a conversation I had had during the day with another cricket widow, we called on the off chance at the Opera House, to enquire if there was any chance of two tickets for La Boheme tomorrow evening. A bit of a long shot, but to our joy we are in possession of two good seats and my cup runneth over! What a treat to be able to listen to some Puccini in this amazing building. An unexpected bonus and the icing on the cake.
    Read more