Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    The Cattana Wetlands

    January 15, 2014 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014

    It has been a quiet day today, but we did take time out to visit the Cattana Wetlands, a 60 hectare site close by. It has been developed from a an old sugar cane farm owned by one Franco Cattana. The farm was sold and gravel extracted leaving flooded quarry lakes, a perfect spot for wildlife and tropical rain forest. there are butterflies galore and we hadn't been there 5 minutes before we spotted two electric blue Ulysses butterflies. They are huge, probably close on 4inches across and quite a sight flitting in amongst the trees. We watched a variety of birds on the water lily covered lakes, including the diving Darter and the comb-crested Jakana picking its way over the lily pads with great care, looking for lunch no doubt.
    It is a quiet peaceful spot, providing you keep you eye out for the odd python and crocodile that have been known to frequent the area. It's the perfect habitat you see. We kept strictly to the middle of all paths and away from the water's edge just in case!
    Later on this afternoon, I came upon the following, which struck a chord and I'm going to print it here, as much as anything, to prevent me from loosing the scrap of paper and thence it is gone forever.

    Live with Intention
    Walk to the Edge
    Listen Hard
    Practice Wellness
    Play with Abandon
    Laugh
    Choose with no Regret
    Continue to Learn
    Appreciate your Friends
    Do what you Love
    Love as if that is all There Is.

    And on that philosophical note I'll say Nite Nite!
    Read more