Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Banff

    July 14, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This morning showed a little improvement from yesterday, regarding the hazy smoke filling the sky, but not enough to see the majestic mountains that surround the town. They appear as ghostly apparitions hovering above us. It’s such a shame, but we knew we had to find an activity that was not purely scenic. Consequently we headed for the Bow Valley Parkway, Highway 1A, which runs alongside Highway I (Trans Canada) for most of the way between Lake Louise and Banff. It is a picturesque drive even being unable to see
    the surrounding mountains clearly. There are lookouts to observe the views, some more successful than others, and we plodded on doing our best to imagine what we couldn’t see. The plan was to stop at Johnston Canyon and to walk part of the trail to the first waterfall. A carefully constructed path runs through the canyon beside the gurgling Johnstone Creek. The sides of the gorge rise ever higher and it narrows to just a few feet in width. Trees clothe the walls, mosses abound and tiny wildflowers make their presence felt. Chipmunks and squirrels dart about and the sky is just visible above our heads. It is a classic gorge, but sadly we were never alone to contemplate its beauty. Finding a parking space in one of the two large car parks was a battle and the canyon scene was rather like the photo of the Capilano Suspension Bridge, except the path didn’t sway violently! We eventually reached and admired the first waterfall before turning back. Walking on to the second waterfall was more than Peter could consider. To quote him “I’m waterfalled out”!!
    We drove on to look at some of the Mountain views, but could see little. I will include a photograph so you can get my drift. Heading back to Banff we were stopped at a railway crossing and waited a full five minutes for a very long goods train to pass. An engine at the front and in the middle.
    We had a look around the town this afternoon. It’s setting is it’s crowning glory; being surrounded by the mountains of the Banff National Park, that normally would be visible from all standpoints. The centre we found overblown and touristy, but the residential districts are charming and it appears to have everything one might need, providing one’s tastes are not too sophisticated. It is clearly horrendously busy at all times, but with a little ingenuity we managed to find a car space up towards the arts centre.
    Interestingly, not really feeling we had achieved that much, we had actually walked five miles today, so earned our supper.
    Fingers crossed we will be able to ride the gondola tomorrow. The haze needs to retreat to make it worthwhile.

    Quote of the day:

    Water is the most expressive element in nature
    It responds to every mood
    From tranquility to turbulence

    Walter Phillips
    Read more