Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    A Blank Day

    July 13, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Well, I’m not quite sure what to say this evening, as all plans went out of the window this morning. We woke up to what we would call blanket fog everywhere. It was so thick first thing, we couldn’t even see the water of Lake Louise. I learned later that this is the result of the wildfires. The wind had changed direction to our detriment. As I mentioned it has been hazy the last couple of days, reducing visibility, but this morning there was none. Consequently, we had to put aside our plans to explore Yoho NP as there would be literally nothing to see. It was moving day anyway, so we made our way to Banff, our final port of call, earlier than planned. We arrived early afternoon and it was heaving, a somewhat unpleasant shock after the last few days! We had a car hire problem to sort out and so took the opportunity to do that. It took the rest of the afternoon!!
    We are staying at Buffalo Mountain Lodge on the outskirts of the town and will have to wait and see if conditions improve overnight. I’ll keep in touch, but sadly nothing of great interest to report.
    I’ll post some photos that didn’t make the cut the first time round, for your interest.
    Firstly, of David Thompson the explorer/ geographer who produced the first map of the area. A great friend of Simon Fraser of a similar ilk. Both have rivers named after them, named for one by the other - if you get my drift!
    Secondly, some delicious food pics to make you drool. Yep, tasted as good as they looked.
    Thirdly of a rather sad lodgepole pine. Many of the forests are looking very sad as the lodgepole pines are slowly dying, due to the infestation of a little beetle that is boring through the bark and allowing disease and freezing temperatures to kill great swathes of the forest. Sadly, there is nothing to be done and natural selection will have to take its course. In case people have forgotten it is the way of the world, not just in trees!
    Read more