Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Finale

    July 15, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    And so we come to the end of our three week journey through Canada and tomorrow we repack our cases and head for home via Calgary. On our way back to Buffalo Mountain Lodge we stopped, yet again, at the hoodoo lookout just down the road and this time the smoke had lifted sufficiently for us to get a glimpse of the view. Again, breathtaking - wherever you look. It is so disappointing that our last few days have been blighted by wildfire smoke, but Mother Nature we cannot control!

    We have seen cities, towns, railways and countryside to die for. Canada is a very diverse nation and I have been struck by just how young this country is. Younger by far than the USA and that’s saying something. The country is vast and the population small, mostly settled along the US border. If you look on any map you will come across the word ‘wilderness’ time and time again and mostly Canada is exactly that, beautiful uncharted wilderness. You can travel for miles without seeing a living soul. It is an interesting mix of British and American influences, gradually forging all of this into a strong, purposeful, growing young country. We have enjoyed our journey immensely and we wish Canada all the luck in the world.

    Today, I saw a quotation from a First Nation writer called Dominic Crowshoe, that struck a chord, as it seemed to reflect Canada and the Canadians perfectly. We could all do with remembering it in truth, and so farewell until the next time.

    “Resilience is a spirit that affects anyone willing to endure hardships the world has presented us. And to overcome the challenges we face.”
    Read more