Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Morning Tours in Athens

    September 3, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Today we visited the Acropolis and later the Acropolis Museum.  I realized it is almost 49 years since I was in Greece.  It doesn't seem as if that much time had passed.  We got to the Acropolis will before the crowds.  There is a lot of renovation being done.  I couldn't remember any renovation when I was there before.  It turns out the renovations began in 1983 almost 10 years after I was there.  I remember the two temples but not the theater.  We walked up  when I came all those years ago and it is possible we came by a different route and never passed it.  Who knows. It is still amazing. 

    After the tour the women in our group (probably all 17 of us) headed for the restrooms.  Well the were only 2 of the 4 stalls that were working.    The of us decide to use the men's restroom.  Of the there, only one was working.  So one of us went in while the other stood watch.  A man came to the top of the stairs where the line ended, but we told him none of the stairs worked and he turned around and left.  Being able too use both restrooms helped stopped up the process considerably. 

    Then we all headed back to the meet up point to walk down to Acropolis Museum.  It is impressive.  The building is the same dimensions as the Temple of Athena and the interior has two rooms as the Athena Temple and positioned the same.  On the top floor there is a section of the floor is all glass. They had to put little black dots on the glass to reduce the uneasiness of people who are afraid of heights. That same flooring is outside the museum near the entrance, too.
    Read more