Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 11 - Final Day

    September 10, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    Today, our last day of the tour we toured Mycenae and did a wine tasting. There were two tour options today. One only went to the tomb of Agamemnon and then walked around the town of Nafpleon. Twenty of the 26 in our Tauck group went on that tour. The other 6 of us visited the theater of Epicurus where the oldest semi-circle theater exits and is still in use today. Our guide, Vaisile, was the same guide we had when we toured the Acropolis. We also visited a small museum on the side. From there we headed to the tomb of Agamemnon and then to the ancient ruins of Mycenae. The trail up to the ruins was steep and some of the rocks on the trail were a bit slippery, but the ruins and the sights were worth it.

    After the Mycenae tour, we headed to the Sakos Winery. We got a tour of the winery followed by a wine tasting. We tasted four wines, 2 whites and 2 reds. Then we had a lunch of dolmades; a salad with pomegranate seeds and slaw and a mildly sweet dressing; eggplant with a tomato sauce on top; a sausage and spanakopeda (spinach pie) accompanied by our choice of wine. John and I chose the Viogner. For dessert we had a sweet pastry. It was very good.

    After lunch we headed back to Nafpleon. They dropped us off at the port for those who wanted to go back to the ship. We had been given a coupon for gelato at a store in Nafpleon. John and I opted to get the gelato and walk around the town for a bit. Vaisile gave us a lift to the area near where the gelato store was. John got a cone with lemon and mixed berry. I got a cone with Pistachio and salted caramel. They were all good. When we got back to our cabin we filled out the Tauck comment form. Then I started trying to fill out yet another Air Canada form required for check-in. I was able to download pictures of our passports, the web site had a problem downloading our COVID-19 test results. After multiple attempts we ran out of time before dinner, so we just have up.

    We had decided to go back to the Candles Restaurant. I ended up getting the same appetizer, I got the first time. It was really good. I had decided to get the Filet Mignon. When I was ordering, I found out that there was another dish not on the menu - Surf and Turf (lobster and Filet Mignon). I got that. I ordered a Malbec that was really good. The entire meal was great. For dessert I got the Apple torte with ice cream (sort of like apple pie and very good).

    When we returned from dinner we finished packing and headed to bed. Tomorrow we will leave the ship and go to the airport. It has been a wonderful trip.
    Read more