Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Epilogue

    September 11, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    As we were getting ready to leave the ship for our flight back to the States, I got a message from Air Canada that our flights (Athens to Montreal; Montreal to Dulles) had been canceled. We then got a message that the new flight would get us into Dulles a day later. While we were trying to find the Air Canada check-in desk we got another text that we were now booked on Lufthansa flights (Athens to Munich and Munich to Dulles). However, the long leg of the flight (Munich to Dulles) had us in coach and we had paid for Premium Economy. We decided to try to resolve the seating issue as soon as possible, but with no Air Canada presence and no useful Lufthansa presence in the Athens airport, we gave up and took the short to leg flight to Munich and hoped we could resolve it there (plus we had more time). I spent a lot of time on the first flight praying for the mix up to be resolved before our flight boarded. When we got to Munich we found a Lufthansa Help section and a gentleman there made many calls and finally was able to get our seats upgraded to the original Premium Economy. I thanked him and God for the hard work and persistence.

    The remainder of the flight was uneventful and we finally landed and got through Customs a little before midnight. It was a long and, at some points, stressful day, but it ended well. And it was a wonderful trip that no amount of airline shenanigans could ruin.
    Read more