Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Nara

    October 23, 2014 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    If you need peace and quiet, come here. Feels like it cleanses your soul. I came here during autumn and let me tell you, its absolutely breathtaking. The different colours of the leaves and the serene waters of the lake with the 5 story pagoda in the distance. Simply magnificent!

    Nara is well known for its deers. You will find most of the in Nara Park, although at times you might find them wandering in town. In the park however, you can purchase deer crackers from vendors and feed the deer. These creatures are smart. They will ambush you the moment you walk to the vendor stall. "That one is getting food!", I'm sure that's what they're saying. Nothing to worry about though. They're just going to nudge you with their noses for abit.

    There is a legend here about deers being messengers of God which is why the town's folk are fine with deer trampling their lawns. Though I don't think they trample much as Japanese deers are as well mannered as their people.

    There are some temples here. A must see is Todaiji temple. It is one of Japan's most famous temples and a prominent landmark of Nara. Picture included below. You can also visit Kofukuji temple. It is right next to the 5 storey pagoda. Picture included below as well.

    Oh, and souvenir shopping here is relatively cheaper compared to the other places I've travelled in Japan. Go to Naramichi if you wish to get some keychains and fridge magnets.
    Read more