Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    S. Croatia panhandle, not like Pensacola

    May 27, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Crossed out of Slovenia then hugged the coast circuiting around the Istria peninsula. Camped on Krk Island. Then squeezed between the sea and the Velebit Mountains. Entered small towns, each marked with a shrine to the Virgin Mary. Equally constant are pastry shops that bring joy. Looking down a street and the statuary I guess Croatia has a bit of that ol’ Soviet Bloc feeling’ of the old Yugoslavia.

    Sometimes 10% or steeper climbs and drops once or twice during a riding day. One day also enjoyed 25 mph gusting headwinds. Too much for one day, far away from anywhere, drove into the brush by a concrete plant and sat for the night. Discretion is the better part of valor the expression goes. Better to avoid a dangerous situation than to confront it.

    Next morning, out of food and water there was the remainder of the climb. From nowhere, halfway up, out of the side of the mountain was this flowing fountain of cold drinkable water! Dedicated to Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor of the Habsburg monarchy in late 1700’s. (in 1782 he announced his Edict of Tolerance that allowed Jews to practice freely so became called The Enlightened Despot by some) Thanks dude!

    Most seen roadside trash. Beer and an energy drink endorsed in Croatia by Bruce Willis.

    Down at sea level some of the Mediterranean is affordable to regular families. Maybe the industrial plant in the distance keeps real estate prices in check.

    Look at what else I saw in Croatia! A Pittsburgh Post Gazette recipe on the side of a seaside bodega.
    Read more