Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The Worlds Busiest City

    October 21, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Its just about to hit midnight on Saturday and we've just collapsed at our hotel the Remm Roppongi. Its been a long day. For the most part, its all gone smoothly.
    There was an incident with Nats phone.. We'd cleared customs in Melbourne and arrived at our boarding gate when Natalie realised her shiny new mobile was missing. We called the phone to find it'd slipped out of her bag at a cafe 'High Tide' where we'd had breakfast earlier. Lucky for Nat, it'd been turned in by an honest person, and the cafe could hold it for us.. but how to collect it? We raced back against the tides of people to customs. Again lucky enough, the head of security agreed to have someone collect it for us and deliver into Nats grateful hands. Crisis averted. After all that rushing, our flight was delayed around 90 minutes in the end.
    The flight was comfy enough, with a couple tasty meals and movies the 10 hours didnt feel too bad.
    I was expecting an almighty challenge negotiating our way from Narita to our hotel in Rommpongi but that wasnt to be the case.. it couldnt have gone smoother. I found a decent package for the airport "skyliner" express, return, plus 48 hour metro ticket to get us around Tokyo until our tour start Monday evening which cost us a total ¥10,500 ($115AUD). 1 AUD = 89¥. Id anticipated $30each, each way from airport to city.
    Train times were perfect we basically rolled up 5 minutes before the skyliner and 5 seconds before the connecting metro train.
    Early impressions of Japan; friendly people who understand at least a little English willing to help with a smile, polite people conscious of others around them, crazy amount of advertising, giant maze metro subway (well signed, colour coded, easy to follow despite size), English subtitles on everything (including some English announcements like train arrivals), very orderly and clean. We arrived Saturday night and there was no ruckus or drunks anywhere.
    Stepping out at Roppingi at 10.30pm had a bit of that 'wow factor'. There was a buzz about the place. Bright lights, crowds, advertising boards and most places still open and busy. We found our hotel quickly enough, checked in, showered and headed out to find some food!
    The room is very nice, with an amazing shower and fancy Japanese toilet! Its small but clean and comfy.
    We dont exactly know what we ordered for dinner, little fried balls of something seafood related, with egg and cheese and Japanese beer? We stood in there and enjoyes enough :)
    Now were exhausted. Time to sleep and recharge before exploring more tomorrow and visiting DisneySea. Its drizzling rain tonight and a storm is projected so hopefully we dont get soaked tomorrow. Despite the rain the weather is pleasantly warm and a little humid. What a day, looking forward to the trip ahead!
    Read more