Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Drowning at Disney Sea

    October 22, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    I thought it would be a nice, gentle, relaxing way to start our Japan trip - a wholesome carefree day at DisneySea. I figured I'd avoid queues and book it in advance. Unfortunately I booked it for a typhoon day..
    It was to be one of, if not the wettest day I've ever seen anywhere in the world, in my entire life. It was pouring when we woke up and it was pouring when we got back to the hotel just now. Whilst still tepid warm in the morning, it seemed to get colder and windier as the day progressed...

    Part of the initial appeal of DisneySea was its relative proximity to our first hotel in Tokyo, less than an hour away via the Metro Hibuya Line and JLT Rail. Further, DisneySea was a Disney park with unique features and attractions and itd be fun to compare with Disneylands we've seen in the US, Paris and Hong Kong.
    Gumboots appear to be relatively popular and fashionable in Tokyo and I see why. Our choice of footwear today wasnt ideal for the weather. If not for the umbrellas we borrowed from our hotel, things would have been much worse. By the time we arrived at Maihama Rail Station, opposite the Disney Land park entrance there were warnings of severe storms and typhoons and winds had picked up. Just a 15minute walk to DisneySea.
    By the time we'd entered DisneySea my feet were soaked. Nothing to do but try enjoy the day as much as possible. Thankfully most rides were undercover and the weather meant smaller (but not always small) lines for rides.

    We trudged through the downpour and winds with our umbrellas (mine nearly snapped several times) and got through all the major rides one by one - Tower of Terror (a free fall drop ride), Turtle Talk (a Finding Nemo theatre show), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (an underwater submarine themed adventure), Journey to the Centre of the Earth (a mountain themed roller coaster), Nemo & Friends Searider (a '4D' Theatre simulator that moves), Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull (an adventure roller coaster/jeep ride) and Raging Spirits (a faster roller coaster rail/mine ride with a 360degree loop).
    We still had a fun day, but left the park with drenched, sore feet.

    Dinner was an amazing find! Ikinari Steak House, just 2 minutes walk from Roppongi station and our hotel. You basically choose your own cut, style and weight of meat, and you pay by the gram. Once you've made your choice, the chefs cuts it for you and checks all is okay. They cook it up in full view and serve on a hot plate with onion and corn. Delicious tap beer also on offer. Service and meat quality was absolutely outstanding. I daresay that meal will be hard to beat the entire trip. A fine conclusion to a great day. Tomorrow we leave Roppongi to meet up with our G Ad ventures tour group at 5pm.
    Read more