Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Crikey That's a Big Day

    August 7, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Packed, up and on the road by around 7.45am today. Not a bad effort!
    Just a casual 230km 2 hour 45 minute drive ahead southward bound to Australia Zoo on the way to our next hotel in Brisbane.
    No stops, just full steam ahead arriving at around 10.45am.
    Rather than replicate our Australia Zoo route of last year, we decided to do it in reverse this time, catching a shuttle from the entrance to the far side of the zoo - the African savannah and work our way back.
    It proved a great move, firstly to see those animals the kids were asleep for last time, and secondly to avoid back/double tracking.
    First animals off the bat were about the most impressive, a whole group of giraffes and brown 'Southern White Rhinos' the kids were absolutely in awe of. As a bonus, the dinosaur statues from last year were still prevalent throughout the zoo, much to Ryland's delight.
    Underwhelmed last year by the Croc show itself, we had no intent of attending it, but ended up there at the start time, so stopped there to watch and eat at Ryland's insistence. It still wasn't a highlight, unlike the 'bouncing pillow' and Laughing Frog 'water play' section. Axel laughed himself to death on the pillow and Ryland threw himself into the water play loving it despite freezing/hypothermia.
    Beyond that, seeing some baby koalas was a big highlight. The kids were well behaved most of the day, and actually finished up the zoo (including a stop at the animal hospital) around 415pm.
    Now, just an hour drive to Brisbane, how hard could it be?
    Whether it was Womens World Cup crowds, or peak hour, it was a hectic drive in to our next hotel the CLLIX Sky Tower.
    It was actually about 6.30pm before we managed to get in and park in the depths of a nightmare carparking catacomb!
    Not a bad view from level 78 (of 83) of the highest building in Brisbane it must be said!
    By the time we explored the area, around the central promenade about the tower (Queen St) and got back to the hotel, some take out pizzas and souvlakis had to suffice for dinner (many places had closed).
    It ended up being a late one in the end, the kids down probably by around 10pm.
    Tomorrow is clear as a relax/unwind day!
    Read more