Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - No committments!

    November 4, 2022 on the Maldives ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Day 4 on this stunning island, and another relaxing day.

    Both of us are slightly sunburnt from previous days, so today is mostly a shade, read and hydrate kind of day.

    Started off with a good breakfast and grabbed a couple of eggs and fruit for later so as not to be caught out with extortionate lunch prices again 🤣. When we got back to our room to collect our bags for the day, there was a real mattress leaning against our villa wall. When we were leaving, we saw Farid our room steward. He had noticed the futon that Kat is sleeping in had an indentation from the daily use. So he had a mattress brought over so she could be more comfortable (even though she has not been uncomfortable). He is going above and beyond for us. Yesterday Kat left $10 on the bed as we wanted to show our appreciation to him. He commented on that today and was so very happy and appreciative. Tips here are not expected (as they are in many other places), but they are truly appreciated.

    We had decided to try a different beach spot today so we could vary our snorkelling and swimming spots. Over to the other side of the island we go. We also wanted to check out the overwater bungalows, so hit the beach near there. This area is not what they class as a “public beach” with loungers - those are only located on the beach near us, and at the pool area. This may seem a bit silly as I doubt there are more than a total of 60 loungers over those two areas. But - anyone in a beach villa, beach villa with plunge or infinity pool or those in overwater bungalows, all have their own loungers on the beach (or their deck). And they likely hang out at their villas most of the time. I know both Kat and I have said if we had had a beach villa we would never leave lol!! They are quite private and you have your own slice and view of the ocean - without the hassle of people hanging out ruining your view. Back tot he beach - the water by the Reethi Grill, near the overwater bungalows, is beyond amazing!!

    We left our things at a table under a palapa and walked out to the overwater area. So beautiful!! However, due to the damage to the reef in this area from construction (they’ve killed it!) I don’t think this is a room category I would want to stay in. You can’t just slip into the water from your room and snorkel the reef (as Kat said) because there isn’t much to see on a dead reef. Sad, really. Saying that though, we did talk to a couple who this morning had seen two small rays and a black tipped reef shark in the area near the overwaters. So, who knows. Either way, they looked very nice from what I could see on the outside.

    When we got back to the beach area, I went for a dip and Kat went for a short and disappointing snorkel. She said the reef is dead and / or dying in the whole area and there was very little fish life. We decided to move on the pool area and house reef. This time we went out together and went to the drop off again. Visibility is better away from the shore and breaking waves (obviously), so by going to the drop off area, we see more. I am still having mask issues (it’s not mine and doesn’t fit properly - think I grabbed Keith’s in error) so only went for a short while before turning back.M to sort out my mask. Thought I had it done and headed back out by myself - Kat was half way to “our” beach by that point. I saw some amazing fish including one that was almost invisible but iridescent as it moved, a purple guy with orange lips, a black one with two orange things in it’s tail and some orange on the top fin, and one that looked almost rectangular and the colour of cement with black spots. Need to look them up. Kat saw two sting rays and a black tipped reef 🦈!

    Rest of the day was spend lounging by the pool, reading and just generally chilling out.

    We headed over to the Thari Bar around 5:30pm. Vinnie must have been missing us as he said “I was going to message you because I thought you forgot to come” 😂. You know you are a regular when…! We were much more restrained tonight and both only had theee (fabulous) G&Ts. The biggest issue is not the gin. It’s the damned little munchie snacks he serves with them! We end up nibbling our way through them and can then only eat a small about of dinner (real food!), or risk ending up bloated and feeling gross. And the food here, especially dinners, is SO good. Ah well….choices. And we choose gin :-)

    Kat needed a walk after dinner and I decided to sit on our porch with a cup of tea. I wanted to enjoy the evening warmth and night sounds, which are a lovely end to a great day!
    Read more