Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Caravanseray and her majesty

    November 13, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Cycling from Konya went, mostly, too fast. I had massive tailwind and was going 35 kmh at points; really fast for touring. So arrived at sultanhası around 3 and hadnt planned on getting there within a day. Sultanhası is home to a huge caravanseray, 5000 m2, which used to be used by Persian travellers around 13th century as a safehaven. Beautiful with all the carpets; most beautiful where the old artworks in the café, which noone seemed to pay attention to. Well, I made pictures so you can!

    Stayed at a campsite — managed to talk the price down ^^ — where two cats liked to play hide and seek in and on my tent. Quite annoying. Next day a friendly dog showed up, who was also chasing the cats away, and wanted to play: sadly I couldn't find anything to throw.

    Next day the wind turned slightly, and I had to go over lots of gravel roads, against the wind, toward hasin daği. Hammering the pedals on gravel against wind is kind of fun, but super heavy; and all the time slowly, from the distance, the volcano became clearer and bigger. Really impressive and really towering over everything else. It also seems to have left some destruction at a village at its feet, which was deserted, burned, and relocated 6 km downhill (with the same name). Dont fuck with her Majesty.

    Lastly, I was warned of wolves in this area, and Im pretty sure I saw some near my tent when I was cooking a bit away from it. Not harmful — they run away once you get close — but pretty exciting and scary the first time.

    It then rained and the wind blew hard overnight; and Im typing this wild cold fingers.
    Read more