Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Swimming with Whale Sharks

    June 18, 2015, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Its an early rise and we scoff down breakfast eagerly awaiting our transfer to Cancun. Today we're going swimming with Whale Sharks!

    Suki has already been back in Oz therefore she's going to goto the gym for a PT session 😐........ so it just me and her friend Wei!

    We arrive at the dock and jump aboard our speedboat. There's a total of 10 in our group plus the skipper and the guide. It's kinda choppy on the journey out to the sharks. Trav and Wei knocked back a seasick tablet to be on the safe side and it worked a treat. Half of the team are looking worse for wear and it's not too long until the chunderring begins.

    After 2 hours we arrive and join the other 25 boats circling the water. Everyone forgets the rules set forth by the captain and rush to the side of the boat to get a glimpse of the Whale Shark's dorsal fin above the water. Flippers and snorkels are on and we're up first, perched on the side of the boat ready to go. The captain gives the nod and we dive in with the guide pointing us in the right direction. All of a sudden we approach a massive Whale Shark. Trav floats directly over top of the enormous beast narrowly missing his tail. Amazed at the sheer size of the shark he forgets to swim in the same direction. Our short swim is over and we climb back in the boat as the next couple get ready to launch.

    Back in the boat the seasickness caused by the stop-start rocking motion claims another 2 victims. We're still fine and smash back a coke to replenish our energy. It's our turn again and we jump back in and this time we swim in the same direction alongside the whale shark - so close that Trav gets whacked by his tail. Wei paddles like a madman trying the keep up as the Whale Shark slowly zips away from us.

    It's another 2 hour journey to the next stop which is made longer by electrical problems with the battery on one of the outboard engines. The skipper pulls out some spare cable, a pair of scissors and some pliers to create a makeshift dual battery system by connecting the batteries in series. This tends to work for about 10mins before we stop again.......and again.

    We finally make it to Isla De Majeras and it's a welcome relief to 40% of the boat who are seriously seasick and have been lying down on the bench seats inbetween projectile vomiting off the side of the boat. We jump into the water for a quick swim whilst the guide and Skipper prepare lunch. Isla De Majeras is only small however it looks crazy expensive. Being a private island were not allowed on shore so we just aimlessly swim around the boat. Lunch is ready and it's delicious - ceviche with guacamole. 30 mins later we're at Cancun ready for the transfer back to Playa De Carmen.

    It's been a long day for 3 mins of swimming with a Whale Shark but nonetheless a great experience.
    Read more