Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Cenote Chaak Tun

    June 18, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    After some serious googling of local attractions - Suki convinces us to visit Cenote Chaak Tun. Its a short 10 min taxi ride from town. Tripadvisor recommends that we arrive after 1pm to avoid the large tour groups at peak time. Its pretty expensive at 360 pesos ($32) each for the entrance fee but it includes a guide, waterproof flashlight, wetsuit, snorkel and reef shoes.

    We get a quick intro from our guide Ricardo and he explains that everyone must wear a life jacket etc - this all changes however when he realises that most of the lifejackets are gone. Ricardo looks at us 3 and says 'you guys can swim yeah?..... You dont need life jackets"

    We enter the first cave by waking down steps into a narrow walkway wedged between the cave walls. We slowly lower ourselves into the cristal clear but ice cold water. Ricardo teaches us about the history of the caves and explains how the stalimites (icicle looking rock things) are formed. The tour last about 90 minutes as we swim through different caves and rock formations. The walls of the cave are just as interesting below the water. Little bats hang from the ceiling in certain spots which really adds to the eeriness of this place. Towards the end the guide tells Trav and Suki to swim through of one the tunnels - its pretty small and you have to dispel most of your air from your lungs to be able to swim downwards into the tunnel before taking a sharp left turn - crazy.

    Great day - taxis try to rip you off heading back into town so Trav flags down a ute and we hitch a ride back.
    Read more