Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Caye Caulker ("You better Belize it!")

    June 22, 2015 in Belize ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    We head to the port and jump on the ferry to Caye Caulker.. Caye Caulker is one of the tiny islands off the coast of Belize, famous for its diving, snorkeling and general lazing around.

    We weren't really sure what to expect from Belize. All we knew prior to coming here is that it is a tiny country, the only central American country that speaks English (win) and that it is relatively expensive (boo). And that it has the second largest coral reef in the world.. second to Australia of course!

    We hop on the island (its very breezy and has a nice islandy feel) and soon discover that Belize is an eclectic mix of all races.. black/ Rastafarian people (many selling weed), olive skinned locals, white expats and locals, and also Asians (running the mini marts). Everyone talks to you and pretty much everyone is trying to sell you something. Many people seem genuinely nice and others are a bit pushy, borderline rude. Basically all sorts!

    We are hustled by a local guy called Jamie offering to help us find accomodation as soon as we get off the ferry. Turned out he was pretty legit (despite our skepticism) and got us a good deal at his uncle's house.

    Lobster season began last weekend so the restaurants are serving whole lobster for $10usd! Suki is super happy :-)
    Read more