Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Farm Life Day 4 - Fly a Plane!!

    July 9, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Big day today as we knock off a few little jobs in the morning and set off on a little road trip to see some sights around the nearby towns.
    First stop down to some of the oil wells Richard and Mary Ann own. They explain how the whole process works which is pretty interesting. Then off to grab some smoked sausage and cheese snacks from the oldest butcher in Lucas, a quaint little store that's been handed down through 3 generations. Just so happens the 2nd best toilet in all of USA is right next door... Its a toilet building shaped like a toilet... Quite a random attraction but its actually very artistic and well done! Next stop we're off to Lake Wilson for a scenic drive, its a huge lake, stretching approximately 10 miles. We pass through lots of green and yellow pastures and rolling hills all around. Then on past another random attraction in Wilson.. the USAs largest Czech egg.. apparently a very large Czech population lives around here.. the egg is not as impressive as the toilet :-)

    We're back at the farm in the early evening and we head over to the neighbour Toms place for a little scenic joy ride on his 2 seater plane! Tom is a bit of a character.. when Richard told him he had visitors from Australia over, his first question was "Do they speak English?" After speaking to Travis he's still not convinced we speak English lol

    What an experience! Tom is actually a pilot instructor and he does an excellent job explaining all the controls on the plane dashboard. Travis gets in first for his ride. Its an awesome ride as we take the plane over the lake and all through the countryside. Tom puts the plane in freefall and max side acceleration to demonstrate what 0 and 2g gravity feels like!

    Sukis turn next and once in the air Tom lets Suki take the controls and fly the plane! (We find out later only Suki got to do this.. Trav is not impressed :-P ) Definitely one of the highlights of our trip so far!

    Not to be outdone by Richards guns, we wrap the evening up by shooting Toms big 357 rifle from his porch out to a nearby tree. When in Kansas!
    Read more