Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 188

    Budapest

    September 25, 2015 in Hungary ⋅ 🌫 15 °C

    Bus to Hungary! Despite being 1hr late the bus to Budapest was actually the nicest one we've been on yet (run by "Student Agency"). It was complete with tv screens, headphones, leather reclining seats, a stewardess and free tea and coffee.. Not bad 18 euro each! Bus experts now, the 8 hours actually passed very quickly.

    In a nutshell, Budapest was nice but didn't live up to expectations. Pros: It was easy to get around and people seems a bit friendlier than in Prague and Warsaw. We walked across Chain Bridge, visited the castle and the Fishermans Bastion, which was good and had some great views. Sat on the edge of the Danube river with some cheese and wine to capture the sun set. Checked out a "Ruin Pub", Szimpler Kert, which was actually very cool. It was raining on the second day so we made the most of it and head to Gellert Spa for some thermal pools and steam room soaking which was very relaxing.

    The negatives would be that some areas were quite touristy. The food wasn't that great.. all the good bread, cheese and wine is gone! Our meals out were kinda average. Also, probably more concerning is that there was pee on the street.. EVERYWHERE. Literally. There was a puddle of pee every 5- 10m. We witnessed the peeing in progress more than once. Big puddles, little puddles... Pee EVERYWHERE.

    Nonetheless, we enjoyed staying in our cosy little apartment and it was still worthwhile checking it out :-)
    Read more