Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Morning canoe ride (Sandoval Lake)

    November 7, 2017 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    We woke up at 5 am and were on the canoe by 5:30 am. The rain had stopped finally after almost 36 hours so we could carry the cameras with the zoom. The sky was still cloudy and a bit overcast. It was nice and quiet with only the rhythmic sound of the oar going through the water propelling us forward.
    Earlier in the morning, about 4 am or so, I had woken up to the sound of what sounded like someone whistling a 3 note song. Jorge told, it was the song of the bird called Aye Aye Mama. It very rare to hear it even in the Amazonas. The legend behind the story was that there were some kids who didn't listen to their parents and went deep into the forest. They were lost and as it started getting dark, they started crying. The spirit of the Amazon appeared and asked them why they were crying. They told that they were lost and wanted to go back to the family. The spirit told that they had been bad kids since they had not listened to their parents so they will have to remain in the forest as birds but they were free to fly back to their families but they will have to return to the jungle to live. It is this bird that makes that sound.
    On the boat ride, we saw some beautiful red flowers.
    Read more