Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Entrance at Cerro Pintados Geoglyphs

    November 27, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    It was about 7 pm when we reached Cerro Pintados (Hill of the painters). This area has geoglyphs on the hills made by cleaning up or putting stones in place to draw icons and diagrams on the hill. There was a huge circular geoglyph on one of the hills. Nearby was what seemed to be an abandoned train line. The road going further too mentioned that it was a dead end further on.
    When we reached the entrance, there was a closed gate across the road. Nowhere else had we seen a paid entrance to the geoglyphs. We also found out from the information board that there were timings when one could access the road further and that Monday was a holiday. Todays was a Monday.
    We were thoroughly disappointed since we had come all the way this far to see it and now it was closed. Another thing that pissed us off was there was an entrance fee for this which was still ok but having timings for seeing a hill 😐😐😐 that didn't feel right. We decided to to go in anyway. Walking was not an option since the nearest geoglyph was about 3 kms away. We checked around and saw that there was no one at the checkpoint. Even though, the gate was only on the road, it was not possible to cross over since on the sides were big unstable crusts of earth and places where it was a bit stable, they had put pieces of glass to deter entryway by vehicle.
    One place we found there were no glass pieces and we could see light track of vehicles that had gone in from there. We drove our vehicle on the track. We had to use the 4x4 at some point since the track was very uneaven and going up and down. Luckily, it was only 15-20 mts and then we were in.
    Read more