Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Highway jaywalking in Santiago

    December 12, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We landed in Santiago at 4:30 pm. We had an early morning flight at 6:45 am to Easter Island next morning. All the gotel we could find around the airport on booking.com were quite expensive with the rates similar to those in Stockholm. We decided to walk out of the airport and try and find a cheaper place. We even checked at the Holiday Inn at the airport. It was 1800 SEK for a night 😀
    We started walking out of the airport with all our luggage on us. In about 20 min, we still weren't outgoing and when we did, we found ourselves on the highway with no road further and a 30 min walk back to the airport behind us.
    We decided to continue walking further on the sides of the highway since we could see some hotels about a om or so away on the map.
    We ended up at a bridge with no emergency side road so we couldn't cross it, but then we saw a cycling crossing the bridge on the other side of the road. Thinking there must be a path there, we went below the bridge and up the other side, only to find a narrow side path there. We anyways didn't have any option so we continued walking along the edge and crossed the bridge.
    Then came the next hurdle. There was a control point for the airport charge and then the road split into multiple exits. We would need to run across these to reach the hotels a km away. And now, the airport was about an hour away. For once we couldn't figure out what to do. We decided to sit on the side and think it through. We even contemplated calling a taxi bit it would be next to impossible to tell where we were and for it to stop there. We even tried hailing a taxi along the highway but none stopped.
    We saw a local peeson near the checkpoint and decided to ask him. He told us that no taxis would stop there but we could walk till the hotels along the highway ☺️
    Then we saw at least 3 bicyclist going on the side of the highway and crossing the exits when there was no traffic. We also decided to do the same and continued further.
    We managed to cross all the exits and arrived at the Hotel Hilton Garden Inn. We knew it would be expensive but we decided to check it anyway. It turned out to be not that expensive but it was fully booked. The receptionist told us to check the hotels across the road and told there was an underpass to go there.
    Read more