Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Morning of planning

    December 26, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    For the 1st time in 3 days it wasn't raining when we had our breakfast and went out to research about the tours and car rentals in this area. We visited the tourist information center where we got some basic information about the transport and tour options. After that, we went to the bus terminal to the various tour companies we had seen there a day before. We gathered more information about the itineraries and the schedules.
    Overall, we found that since we were 4 of us, it would be cheaper to rent a car and drive to the places instead of paying per head to the tour operators.

    Then we decided to check out the car rental options but these were at the other end of the town. We managed to check Econorental but they didn't have any vehicles available for another 10 days. By the time we came out, the other 2 rental companies Europcar and West were closed for lunch and would open at 3 pm.
    We too decided to take this opportunity and have some food. I went and had a haircut and joined the others just when they had finished checking the other 2 companies. Even Europcar was fully booked but West had one small car available.

    We had a look and felt we would be fine with the size. We needed the vehicle for 5 days but were told that the office would be closed on 31st Dec and 1st Jan so we would have to drop it at the airport office which was 20 kms away. We decided to rent it for 7 days instead and return it to the city office near the hotels etc.
    We had been stuck already for 3 days in Puerto Montt so we decided to take the car immediately and head our somewhere. The car rental was from hour to hour i.e. We return the car same time as we take it.
    Read more