Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Cucao Nature park

    January 2, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We reached Cucao around 3:30 pm and drove past the town to the nature reserve. We missed it completely. There were no boards or entrance marked anywhere. We made a u turn and drove back hoping to see it as marked on Maps.me. Just where there was a trekking trail marked on the map, we saw a small wooden gate. It was closed but not locked. We parked our car on the side of the road and started the walk. There were lovely wooden walkways and thick green foliage around. After a while Hristo and Maria went a bit ahead of us. Its then that a guy running behind us caught up with us. He told us that we needed to move our car to the proper parking and that we needed to buy the entry tickets. He explained where the parking and the reception was.
    We were getting late since we needed to catch the mainland ferry at Chacao about 160 kms away and then drive another 60 kms to Puerto Montt to return the car by 7 pm. We had less than 3.5 hrs to do this. If I went back, moved the car and then came back, it would take me about 30 min, so I told the guy that the car keys were with my friends and we'll catch up with them and then move the car. We continued further into the reserve. The dunes viewpoint was just about 400 mts from where we were.
    Read more