Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    Getting back to Puyuhuapi

    January 11, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    After the interpretative trail, we went to the short trails with the viewpoints of the glacier. From one of them, we could clearly see the U shaped valleys formed due to the movement of the glacier, all the way to it current location.
    Back at the parking, our van driver was of course not there. We decided to try and hitch hike our way back to Puyuhuapi. We tried stopping a few vehicles while walking out of the national park but weren't lucky. After about 3 kms walk, we reached the main road between Coyhaique and Puyuhuapi. We stopped here and waited for a ride. There was a girl from Israel traveling alone in South America from South to North. She to came and sat with us waiting for a ride to Puyuhuapi. We had to wait almost 30-40 min but still didn't get lucky. The Israeli girl went to the park ranger office to see if there was any option. She was told that one of workers was going to Puyuhuapi in 10-15 min and that he had a pickup van so we could all go. In the meantime, we continued trying to flag down vehicles we could take. A small truck stopped and agreed to take one of us to Puyuhuapi. We offered the Israeli girl to go for it while we continued waiting. In about 5 min, the pickup from the national park came and we all got a place to sit in it. We got a ride all the way to the ferry crossing, then across it and then to the village with the same guy. We reached back around 7 pm and paid him 4000 CLP as a tip.
    Read more