Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 123

    El Calafate to Iguazu

    January 30, 2018 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Today was the day when stopped our journey south and flew all the way across Argentina to Iguazu falls on the Argentina - Brazil border. Our flight was around 9:30 am so we had booked a taxi for 8 am in the morning. We had tried to call our driver who we had used in the past but we couldn't get through to him when we tried calling him the day before. The airport shuttle too was starting a bit late for us on this day. So, eventually, we had managed to book a taxi for 400 ARS for all of us.
    The taxi arrived on time and we were off at the airport. The flight was to Iguazu with a short stopover at Buenos Aires. It was a long flight over mostly flat land with unimpressive features below. We landed in Buenos Aires around 2 pm and had our lunch at the airport. From here we took our connection flight to Iguazu.
    It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and the flight reached Iguazu about 25 min before scheduled arrival time. The pilot decided to show us all the Iguazu falls from above and made the announcement that while waiting for a landing slot he'll fly over the Iguazu falls making an 8 so people on both sides could see the falls. What luck!!!
    We all got a lovely ariel view of the most impressive falls on this planet. It was mindblowing.

    The Iguazu Falls or Iguazú Falls (as its called in Argentina) or Iguassu Fall or Iguaçu Falls (as its called in Brazil) are waterfalls of the Iguazu River on the border of the Argentina and the Brazil.
    They are the largest waterfalls system in the world. The falls divide the river into the upper and lower Iguazu. The Iguazu River rises near the city of Curitiba. For most of its course, the river flows through Brazil; however, most of the falls are on the Argentine side. Below its confluence with the San Antonio River, the Iguazu River forms the boundary between Argentina and Brazil.

    From the airport, we took the local bus to the center of the town Puerto Iguazu some 20 kms away. Just across the town over the border bridge is the town of Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil.

    The next hour or so was spent trying to find a reasonable place to stay. It was quite hot and humid in Iguazu. The whole area was a pure rainforest with thick foliage before the trees and bushes were cleared off to make place for the Puerto Iguazu town. It is just about 150 mts above sea level. We booked ourselves into San Fernando hostel just opposite the bus terminal. The evening was spent figuring out the best and cheapest way to get to Iguazu falls the next day. There were local buses going to the park entrance starting every hour from the bus terminal near our hostel so we bought our tickets for 150 ARS per person. Then it was time for some cash withdrawal, then dinner and then back to the hostel for an early end of the day.
    Read more