Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 127

    Cartagena free tour

    February 3, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    The free tour was an amazing trip into the history and culture of the beautiful town.
    The tour started with an introduction to India Catalina. She was an indigenous woman (almost certainly Calamari) from the Colombian Atlantic coast, who accompanied Pedro de Heredia and played a role in the Spanish conquest of Colombia, acting as interpreter and intermediary. Catalina was abducted in 1509 by Spanish conqueror Diego de Nicuesa from an indigenous settlement where she was the daughter of the local chief. She was sent to Santo Domingo, where she learned the Spanish language and adopted the Catholic religion. Pedro de Heredia required her to serve as an interpreter to the Native Americans.
    The city of Cartagena, known in the colonial era as Cartagena de Indias, is a major port founded in 1533, located on the northern coast of Colombia in the Caribbean Coast Region. The city was named after Cartagena, Spain, which in turn was named after Carthage in Tunisia. During the colonial era it was a key port for the export of Peruvian silver to Spain and for the import of African slaves.
    Read more