Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 128

    Totumo mud volcano

    February 4, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    The van arrived to pick us up a bit late and we along with about 10 other people started towards Totumo halfway between Cartagena and Barranquilla. We reached El Totumo around 3:30 pm.

    El Totumo Mud Volcano is an active mud volcano located near sea level in northern Colombia. It is a local tourist destination, popular for its alleged healing mud bath. It is the smallest volcano in the country. The mound has a height of about 15 m and is accessible via a staircase that leads to the crater. There is a small place at the crater where 10-15 can stand around before going down about 4-5 meters via another wooden ladder into the thick mud of the pool. There's a separate ladder to come out from the pool.

    A mud volcano or mud dome is a landform created by the eruption of mud or slurries, water and gases. A mud volcano or mud dome is a landform created by the eruption of mud or slurries, water and gases. The mud produced by mud volcanoes is mostly formed as hot water, which has been heated deep below the earth's surface, begins to mix and blend with subterranean mineral deposits, thus creating the mud slurry exudate. This material is then forced upwards through a geological fault or fissure due to local subterranean pressure imbalances.
    Read more