Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Verbenas and Donkey Rooms

    February 11, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    From the parade, we went towards the town. There were parties going on everywhere.

    Verbanas are open, free-access spaces, where people can dance, eat and enjoy themselves with different activities. Verbenas are presumed to have appeared as early as the beginnings of the 20th century when surprise-visiting a residence by friends was a common activity. These surprise-visits should be assumed completely and without any hesitation by the owner of the residence as a rendezvous point for making a party. These carnival dancing encounters were commonplace in the middle-upper and upper class and were a spread activity until the official appearance of dancing rooms hosted by nightclubes and hotels.
    Donkey Rooms are semi-open, free access rooms where people met to dance and enjoy themselves. That particular, curious name came from the fact people used to leave their donkeys tied to a post outside the room just before entering.

    We had our dinner at Terraza Arabe, an Arabic restaurant. The vegetarian fare for the evening was a falafel roll and some sweet baklava.
    After that, we all went back to our respective hostels. The day didn't end there. Back at my hostel, a party was going on again 😁😁 I joined the gang at the hostel and we continued dancing till early in the morning.
    Read more