Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 139

    Off to Mompox

    February 15, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Finally on the morning of the 15th Feb, we were off from Barranquilla towards Mompox.
    Hristo and Maria called for a taxi to take us all to Soledad to the bus terminal we had checked on the evening before. The bus was at 8 am but since the bus terminal was about 25 kms from the Barranquilla town center, we started early around 6 am. On the way, they picked me up from my hostel and then we were off. We reached the terminal around 7:15 am. Here we tried to find out our bus number and the stand no. It took us about 20 min before we figured that there was only one operator having buses from Barranquilla to Mompox and all the others were reselling their tickets. In any case, the price was the same, so it didn't matter to us. We eventually found that Unitransco will be our carrier. The bus started at 8 am and soon we were asleep to make up for the early morning.
    About 3 hours later when I woke up, we were deep into the wetlands. The vegetation was quite different than what we had seen till now. All the huts were built on the small sand hillocks I guess to avoid flooding during the rain season. It was quite green in some places while quite sand and desert like in other places.
    Read more