Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Galapagos - dia IV

    May 8, 2017 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    At 6.00 in the morning we took the boat again to transfer 2 hours to the island we originally started our trip on the Galapagos. Lucky I felt better this time. Back on the island Santa Cruz our first trip lead us to the highlands. We had the unforgettable opportunity to observe about 20 giant tortoises in their natural environment. As it is at the moment low season on the Galapagos we were a group of only 4 persons and our guide. In the age of 65 our guide has done this tour so many times and still organises this tour every day. He has even given names to some of the tortoises. And when we arrived you could even see that he has built up a relationship with the big creatures. It was amazing.
    Back in town for lunch we walked into the fish market - funny scenes there. The fresh fish was prepared and sold straight at the pier. But not as usual there was a big audience of pelicans and sea lions waiting either for the waste of the fish during the preparation or a moment where the people do not pay attention and steal a fresh fish. It was a great show at the pier :-)
    In the afternoon we visited Charles Darwin's research center where we could learn a lot about the ongoing conversation efforts directed towards preserving the Giant Tortoises, as well as the natural environment of the archipelago as a whole.
    After a long day with a lot of new adventures we decided to go for a walk at the pier in Puerto Ayora, a small but very nice village with good restaurants. At the pier we had the chance to observe about 50 baby hammersharks that come close to the peer every night to look for food. Great scenes.
    Read more