Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Meeting Our Tour Companions

    June 4, 2019 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Our Rick Steves Tour officially started this afternoon. However, we met four of our tour companions this morning at breakfast. Barbie and Debbie, sisters-in-law from the San Diego area, were interested in the ethnographic museum, as were we, so we joined up for the walk and visit to the museum. Of special interest was the bee-keeping exhibit. Slovenians have an affection for their native Carniolian bees and a long tradition of bee-keeping.
    Then it was time to meet the rest of the gang, who come from the west coast, Arizona, New Jersey, Texas, Alabama and Michigan. Our guide, Darija led us on a short walking tour through one of the neighborhoods where "real people " live, then through the old city to the funicular. You can hike up the hill to the castle, but riding was nice, especially since it was hot and humid. The Ljubljana Castle is was more for fortfication than as a palace, so the most interesting thing at the top is the incredible view over the city. A "Welcome dinner" was waiting for us in the restaurant on the castle grounds. We enjoyed getting to know our new companions for the next two weeks over yet another delicious meal.
    Read more