Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    A Vacation from Our Vacation in Korcula

    June 14, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    We crossed the border back into Croatia and after two ferry crossings, we arrived on the island of Korcula on the Dalmatian coast Thursday evening. Our agenda for the next day and a half was to relax and enjoy this beautiful and serene setting, or as guide Darija called it: "our vacation from vacation." We followed her instructions to the letter, sleeping in, shopping a little in the winding streets and alleys of the old town, and enjoying more excellent local food and wine. Myj braved the pebbles on the beach for a swim in the warm and very salty Adriatic Sea, while Dennis watched from the hotel terrace with a few gin & tonics.
    Korcula is one of the only places where it is still possible to see the traditional Moreska sword dances. We went to a performance one night that included a version of Moreska as well as traditional Dalmatian singers. The following night, a Moreska troup representing five different villages marched throughout the town, stopping to perform different dances from each village. At first we thought the swords the dancers used were fake, but as they twirled and dipped in the intricate movements, we realized there were actually sparks flying when their swords clashed.
    A sunset cruise around the island before an incredible dinner at Aterina Restaurant capped our visit to Korcula. We left reluctantly Saturday morning to finish the last few days of our tour in Dubrovnik.
    Read more