Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Donkey Milk, Anyone?

    June 15, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    Our brief vacation in idyllic Korcula over, we continued onward toward Dubrovnik. Traveling along the Peljesak Peninsula, we detoured from the main highway to visit a donkey farm. Of course they were adorable! In addition to preserving the Croatian donkeys, which were scarce when the Antunović family started the farm 20 years ago, these donkeys produce milk. Mr. Antunović explained the health and medicinal benefits of donkey milk. He only takes one deciliter per day from the mothers, saving the rest for the baby donkeys, so it is expensive.
    After our visit with the donkeys, we walked into the tiny village where the family also runs a tavern. We were offered a taste of the milk with our lunch. It was fine, but Myj preferred the Plavac Mali wine they also produce.
    As we returned to the highway, we were treated to panoramic views of the Adriatic. Our last stop before Dubrovnik was a break in Ston, where we could see the 13th century salt works pools as well as the walls built to protect this precious resource. These are the longest defensive walls in Europe, and the third longest in the world. Since it was nearly 90 degrees, we opted not to climb up to the gate at the base of the wall, but one or two of our group did so.
    When we reached Dubrovnik in the late afternoon, we said goodbye to our bus driver, Klaudio, as this is our last stop. Dennis expressed his admiration for Klaudio's ability to navigate the narrow roads and especially the hairpin turns in the Alps.
    Read more