Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 11

    Denali- Walks and Cabin Show

    4 de junho de 2022, Estados Unidos ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Julianna and I had breakfast sandwiches and coffee, then met our guide, Alexis (Lexi). She is a naturalist/environmental scientist, and taught us lots about the habits of the local critters. The moose are BIG! We came upon a lot of moose scat. Since their diet consists mainly of bark, their poop is pretty much sawdust- which she demonstrated by picking up a piece and squeezing it. It crumbled-- dry sawdust!

    We ate bluebells, fireweed, and a special treat, spruce tips. The spruce tips are very nutritious- bears love them, and the native Alaskans would eat them as they were the first "produce" available after the long, harsh winters. We also were able to identify cranberry and blueberry plants. They weren't producing yet, but with the long days, they grow pretty fast, and become quite large.

    Again-- such beauty, everywhere. I am constantly grateful that we chose to do this land trip.

    After we completed our walk with Lexi, we decided to do another walk on our own, so started the trail to Horseshoe Lake. We did take one wrong turn, but got ourselves back on track. The view was spectacular. A bonus was that we found a shortcut back along the railroad tracks.

    We checked out the gift store, and I picked up a copy of Granite- written by Susan Butcher about one of her lead dogs. Lunch at the Morino Grill, then shuttle back to the Denali Bluffs.

    Dinner was at the Camp Show- a dinner theater focused on the history of the area. Lots of fun, great ribs and salmon.
    Leia mais