Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Arrived in Lima, Peru

    May 12, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    After an interminable time in transit, the first 11 members of the Ghostriders' 2018 South America Adventure have finally all safely reached Lima. The extraordinary journey began with a horror drive to Tullamarine through pouring rain and gridlocked Melbourne traffic. Then our flight was delayed before finally taking off at 9 pm. Thirteen and a half hours jammed into an economy seat on a packed flight would have been bearable if it had not been for some wild turbulence in the first few hours of the flight, but at least we reached Santiago (Chile) without our luggage going to London by mistake. Then followed some more time in transit before catching the final flight (also delayed) to Lima. At least this leg was only three and half hours and the flight crew were a little more attentive that on the first flight.

    We finally staggered out of the airport into the warm and humid air of Lima about 2 am local time. We had had multiple time changes and around 30 hours of transit. To say we were ready for bed would have been have been like comparing the bubonic plague with a dose of the sniffles, but first we had to take a seat on a bus for the trip through the city to our hotel. Even at this time on a Sunday morning, the streets were thronged with jostling cars.

    It was certainly a blessed relief to eventually collapse through the door of my room and turn the light out. At least my room at the Casa Andina Miraflores was immaculately clean and the bed was heavenly.

    Tomorrow our adventure really begins.
    Read more