Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    The Final Day in The Big Apple

    June 13, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    They say that all good things must eventually come to an end. This trip was most certainly a "good thing", but now the time has come for it to draw to a close. The weather in Buenos Aires is now cold and grey - a far cry from the hot and sunny days we experienced in Peru at the start of the adventure. We do not need any reminder that winter is now truly with us and that those sunny days are just a memory.

    This morning we took a final walk around this city, passing by the famous Casa Rosada on our way to the docklands region. The last time I walked this route the sun was shining brightly and the streets were thronged with people. This time the winter chill has kept the crowds out of sight. Those few that have braved the elements are bundled into winter gear and thick coats. The docklands which were previously alive with so many people were almost deserted. Maybe this is another message that the time is right for us to return home.

    Tomorrow we leave the hotel in the wee small hours of the morning to begin the long journey back home to Melbourne. Paul and I have been going over some of the highlights of the past 5 weeks. It truly has been full of so many sights and experiences that I think it has exceeded all of our expectations. It is probably unlikely that I will ever return to South America, but I am so glad that I had this opportunity to share this trip with so many wonderful companions.

    Now I am ready to go home and take a well earned break before the next adventure on the Compostela de Santiago.
    Read more