Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ride to Thimpu

    May 8, 2013 in Bhutan

    Today we cycled from Paro to Thimpu, the capital city of Bhutan. The scenery along the way was delightful with lots of highly decorated houses dotted over the mountainsides. The road was interesting and had lots of climbs and descents. It was also interesting to see the way that local drivers choose to pass in the most dangerous places. Bhutanese road signs are always very polite - some examples "Please be careful of shooting rocks" followed by another sign 100 metres further on "Thank You". Other equally polite road signs warn of the dangers of speeding or using a mobile phone while driving. The people here are very respectful of their King, their country and the law.

    The weather started out a little cool and drizzly but the clouds soon lifted and we were able to do most of the ride in warm sunshine. I was reminded of those words about Camelot and the rain "never coming till after sundown". We are now safely in the hotel in Thimpu and a big Himalayan thunderstorm is bearing down on Thimpu. The thunder is rolling down the valley and echoing through the mountains. No wonder the name "Bhutan" means "Land of the Thunder Dragon".

    All our Ghostriders look terrific in their matching yellow jerseys and I am sure that we have been noticed everywhere we have been. All have agreed that the trip has already exceeded their expectations (and it''s only day 3).
    Read more