Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Ride to Punakha

    May 10, 2013 in Bhutan

    This morning we left Thimpu on the next leg of our adventure (or should I say wheel of our adventure ?). The first few kilometres were undulating and then we hit the main challenge of the day - to ride up and over a 3200 metre pass. The climb went on and on and the road surface was full of ruts and potholes making it even worse than a dirt road. A few riders gave up early and ended up in the following bus but 6 of us persevered all the way to the summit. It was a pity that the low lying cloud did not part long enough for us to see the view which we were told is absolutely incredible.

    After lunch we then embarked on the longest and most exhilerating descent I have ever done. It just went on and on and on, eventually dropping over 2000 metres to Punakha. The road was great for some of the descent inviting some of our riders to take ridiculous risks, accompanied by hoots of exhileration. Then it degenerated into a dog track, shared with a succession of big Tata trucks belching smoke in our faces. When we finally arrived at our hotel late in the afternoon we were all high on endorphins and many said it was the best day's riding they have ever had.

    Tomorrow will be an easier day (we hope).
    Read more