Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Cycling the Giant Bridge

    May 11, 2013 in Bhutan

    Panukha, Bhutan Sat May 11th

    The spirit of Camelot is still alive and well here. We were able to complete our long day's ride yesterday in fine and mostly sunny conditions. It was not until we were securely at our hotel that the sky darkened with a lovely Himalayan thunderstorm with torrential rain, lightning and thunder. The rain persisted until nearly midnight but when we awoke in the morning the skies were clear again.

    We rode a short distance along the banks of a glorious white water river to the most beautiful Dzong we have yet seen. Situated right above the river bank, the imposing structure was fronted by a row of huge jacaranda trees, all in full bloom with a cloak of brilliant purple flowers. The fallen petals also made a frgrant floral carpet under our feet as we approached the front entrance. In Bhutan, Dzongs serve a dual purpose as seats of government and also as monasteries/temples.

    Once inside the structure the inner courtyard offered a cool and peaceful sanctuary from the outside world. All the timber work was covered with the most intricate paintwork and the cooing doves added to the general serenity of the place. We spent some time exploring this exquisite building and we were reminded again of just how few tourists ever travel to Bhutan. In Europe such a place would be crammed with thousands of jostling tourists, all clicking on their cameras, playing with their phones, smoking cigarettes and following someone with a red flag on a stick. Here we had the place to ourselves and it was heavenly.

    The highlight of the ride to the Dzong had been the crossing of the longest suspension bridge in Bhutan. At 210 metres long and towering high above the turbulent waters far below, it certainly was a sight to behold. Some of us decided to ride our bikes across the bridge and, while it was not quite as confronting as abseiling from the summit of Table Mountain, it was certainly enough to get the adrenaline pumping.On the return ride we followed the sealed road rather the muddy track we had followed on the outward ride. The midday sun was hot and burning and we were glad to reach the cool shade of a local restaurant where we stopped for lunch. Now that I am safely back at the hotel it is looking like the rain is about to start again. How is that for timing ?
    Read more