Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Getting to Know You

    August 21, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Whenever you first arrive at a new city, everything seems strange and confusing. It is easy to lose your bearings and feel disoriented whenever you step far away from the hotel. It takes time to recognise familiar landmarks and common routes.

    A couple of days later, it is usually completely different. You start to build up a mental framework of the layout of the city and gain confidence in exploring, without the overwhelming fear that you will get lost. And this is the case with our time in Amsterdam.

    We awoke to another completely clear blue sky and the prospect of a hot day ahead. After the marathon we walked yesterday, I had no desire to try to set some sort of new personal record today. That is why I suggested that the Vondel Park would be a lovely place to spend another couple of hours.

    This morning we were also joined by the final four members of the Amsterdam group. Paul and Catriona Wansbrough and Allan and Sarah Barlin walked in to the hotel just after breakfast, bearing the unmistakable signs of long haul flight delirium. Although Allan has been a regular participant in Ghostrider adventures since I first met him in Kathmandu in 2002, I had not seen Paul and Catriona since our Scandinavian rides in 2014. And, for Allan's daughter Sarah, this will be her first experience of travelling with an eccentric group of people, mostly old enough to be her grandparents.

    After welcoming the new arrivals, I suggested that it would be good for the men and women to head in different directions. While the women all happily looked for shopping opportunities, I took seven of the men and headed for the familiar sanctuary of the Vondel Park.

    We settled into a nice table and were recognised by the same waiter who had served us two days earlier. What followed next was two hours of wide ranging conversation (aka "secret men's business"). Of course, I cannot divulge such private details here, so I won't even try.

    After we ran out of things to talk about, we started the walk back to the hotel. Michael had only walked about 50 metres, before stating that he could walk no further, and insisted on catching the tram instead. Ken reluctantly agreed to accompany him as his carer. The rest of us walked.

    A short time later five of us were back at the hotel, resting in the lounge room, but Michael and Ken were nowhere to be seen. Funny that. They eventually staggered in the door about twenty minutes later, with some doubtful tale about the tram door not opening and keeping them trapped far past their intended stop. I did not believe it for a minute.

    Meanwhile the women had apparently enjoyed a lovely time spending their husbands' retirement funds, and laughing hysterically at the same time. Although the chocolate shop that they had originally headed for turned out to be shut, there were plenty of other shops that were very happy to welcome them and their credit cards.

    Later today we plan to head back to the Vondel Park with ingredients for a late afternoon picnic on the grass. It should be fun.
    Read more