Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    A Thoroughly Wet Start

    August 25, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    After our time in Amsterdam and Mastricht, we were all looking forward to finally getting on our bikes and riding. We had been told that someone called Erik would meet us at the hotel at 9 am. That would also be the time that we would receive our bikes and get underway on our first ride.

    Although Erik turned up on time, the weather then went completely pear shaped. The sky blackened, and then opened up with a sustained downpour, that soon sent floodwaters into the foyer of the hotel. If that wasn't bad enough, the rain was also accompanied by regular peals of thunder. This was most definitely NOT the way that we had hoped the ride would start.
    At least we used the time to take the obligatory group photos, before venturing out into the elements. With everyone proudly decked out in their Ghostrider shirts, we certainly did make a colourful spectacle. Of course the shirts were immediately then hidden under layers of rain jackets. Michael even took the time to don his infamous oompa loompa rain pants.

    In one brief respite from the rain, we did manage to get our bikes, and have a short test ride, before the skies opened again with even more venom. We waited. And we waited. And we waited some more. No one actually wants to begin a ride in torrential rain, however it was beginning to look like that is what we would have to do.

    Finally, some time after noon, the rain finally stopped. That is when we started. For a few km, we rode in dry conditions, and then the rain started again. It poured, and we got wet. Very wet, The shortcomings of many a so called "rain jacket" quickly became evident.

    In spite of the horrible weather, the group actually maintained a good level of morale. This morale improved greatly when we found a likely looking cafe to stop for lunch. The rain gradually diminished and then stopped altogether. The sun even came out in short bursts, allowing our sodden clothes and shoes to dry out.

    The scenery also improved as we rode close to the bank of the Meuse River. Now this was what we had come so far to enjoy. And that is exactly what we did.

    Although the entry to Liege is rather industrial and somewhat ugly, and the peak hour traffic made our final couple of km to the hotel quite challenging, we had finished the day on quite a high. The forecast for the next couple of days is quite promising, so we might be able to stay dry.

    Tomorrow we ride on to Namur. It will be a much longer ride, so we really hope the weather is kinder to us.
    Read more